The following tutorials give more specific instructions on how to upload files with certain applications:
- Uploading Files With Secure Shell
- Uploading Files With FileZilla
- Uploading Files With Dreamweaver
- Uploading Files With PuTTY
- Uploading Files With Contribute
For www.gmu.edu or mason.gmu.edu
General Uploading Information
- The hostname is
- A Mason Cluster account can be obtained at mason.gmu.edu, subject to Account Eligibility.
- The application should use Secure FTP (SFTP) to connect.
Once you’ve connected, if you’re uploading files to your personal site, you should see a
public_html folder. Double-click on it to enter that folder. If you do not see a
public_html folder, please follow the instructions in this guide:
Note: In order to upload your files onto your public_html folder, you must upload an index.html file to the folder first. You will be able to view your contents only then.
Colleges, Departments, and Student Organizations
Once you’ve connected, you’ll want to switch to the directory that contains the files for your department or organization:
your_directory_path appropriately. For instance, if your site is located at
your_directory_path would be
Last Updated: September 6, 2017