Uploading Files With Secure Shell
For www.gmu.edu or mason.gmu.edu
- A Mason Cluster account
- The SSH Secure Shell Application (Free download)
Connect to the Server
- Open up the Secure File Transfer Client.
- Hit Quick Connect and enter
mason.gmu.edufor the Host Name, and your username.
- If this is your first time connecting, you’ll probably get a few warning messages. Push OK to clear those.
- Enter your mason.gmu.edu password.
If you’ve logged in successfully, the pane on the right should show files on the server. If this is your first time connecting, it will probably be empty.
If you’re uploading files to your personal site, you should see a
public_html folder. Double-click on it to enter that folder. If you do not see a
public_html folder, please follow the instructions in this guide:
Note: In order to upload your files onto your public_html folder, you must upload an index.html file to the folder first. You will be able to view your contents only then.
Colleges, Departments, and Student Organizations
On the right, above the file pane there should be a text box. It probably says something like this:
Replace the contents of that box with the following:
your_directory_path appropriately. For instance, if your site is located at
your_directory_path would be
You should now be in the folder for your department or organization.
Uploading Files to Your Web Folder
You can either:
- Navigate to your web site files on your hard drive in the left pane, select the files you’d like to upload, right click on your selection, and choose Upload.
- Or you can drag files directly from your Desktop (or some other folder on your computer) to the pane on the right.
Note: Be careful when you are uploading files, especially if this is your first time. It’s always prudent to make backups before overwriting any critical files.
Last Updated: September 28, 2016